What we’re looking for:
Helios Design Labs is looking for a talented Front End Web Developer to join our web team.
Helios Design Labs is a multidisciplinary design studio specialized in the creation of unique interactive experiences. Driven by design, the art of traditional storytelling and emerging technologies, we seek out projects that inspire and create change for the better.
Our client list includes collaborations with the BBC, the National Film Board of Canada, Harvard University, the Copenhagen Philharmonic, The Rockefeller Foundation, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, as well as many documentary filmmakers, academics and artists that are willing to explore the expanding horizons of interactive storytelling.
Our projects have received many notable awards including the Peabody, a World Press Photo Award, an Emmy Award, and the Canadian Screen Awards.
While working within a team development environment, you will be:
– Architecting and developing media-rich web experiences
– Taking an active role in design and development throughout the entire process
– Working independently, choosing your tools, and taking ownership of your projects
– Collaborating with a small team in a creative environment, building prototypes, finding and trying out new technologies to solve intriguing and unconventional problems
– Delivering clear and maintainable code
– Going home on time every day
Skills & Requirements ‘Must Have’ Skills and Qualifications:
– Passionate about creating beautiful, immersive web experiences
– Fluent and current in modern frontend web development:
– Cross browser development, responsive/mobile-first development
– Build tooling, e.g. Webpack, Grunt, Gulp, Rollup, etc
– Performance optimization: load times, framerates
– Working with rich media on the web: audio, video, 2D and 3D graphics
– Proficient with Git, collaboration using pull requests
– Ability to work independently and as part of a small, tight-knit team
– Strong time management skills: multitasking and prioritizing to meet deadlines, estimating development time for project proposals
– Experience working closely with graphic designers on creative, polished work
– Ability to quickly put together flexible concepts, and craft rock solid final products
– Enthusiasm for new technology, constantly expanding capabilities
– Degree/Diploma in Computer Science, Engineering, Digital Marketing, Design, or related subject/equivalent work experience
“Nice to Have” Skills and Qualifications:
– Experience adapting and optimizing media-rich web experiences for mobile devices
– Building to user experience best practices, working with unconventional interfaces
– Experience with third party APIs, ie Facebook and Twitter
– Experience and/or interest in developing with Unity
– Education/background/interest in a creative or non-technical discipline
– Backend experience, ie Node.js
– Proficiency with 2D and 3D graphics and audio on the web, ie Canvas, WebGL, three.js, Web Audio API
– Experience with web server setup and provisioning in a cloud environment, e.g. Digital Ocean/AWS/Google Cloud, Ubuntu, Apache, nginx
– Experience with test-driven development
– Open source contributions
We are ONLY looking for candidates that can work from the Toronto office.
Please send your CV, cover letter, Github (or equivalent) profile, and a project you’d like us to check out to email@example.com ￼